Chi-Huey Wong, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, and The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA, celebrates his 70th birthday on August 3, 2018. Wong’s research focuses on bioorganic chemistry and particularly the chemistry of carbohydrates. He has developed some of the earliest automated syntheses of oligosaccharides.
Chi-Huey Wong studied chemistry and biochemical sciences at Taiwan National University, Taipei, and received his Ph.D. in organic chemistry in 1982 from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, MA, USA, under the supervision of George M. Whitesides. After postdoctoral research at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA, Wong started his independent research career as Assistant Professor at Texas A&M University, College Station, USA, in 1983. He joined The Scripps Research Institute as Professor of Chemistry in 1989. In 2006, Wong was appointed President of the national academy of science in Taiwan, Academia Sinica. He also is the Founding Director of The Genomics Research Center of the Academia Sinica.
Among many other awards, Wong has received the International Enzyme Engineering Award in 1999, the US Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award in 2000, the F. A. Cotton Medal for Excellence in Chemical Research from the American Chemical Society (ACS) in 2008, and the Wolf Prize in 2014. He serves on the Honorary Boards of ChemCatChem and the Asian Journal of Organic Chemistry, and is a member of the International Advisory Board of the Israel Journal of Chemistry.
- Unprecedented Role of Hybrid N-Glycans as Ligands for HIV-1 Broadly Neutralizing Antibodies,
Vidya S. Shivatare, Sachin S. Shivatare, Chang-Chun David Lee, Chi-Hui Liang, Kuo-Shiang Liao, Yang-Yu Cheng, Gannerla Saidachary, Chung-Yi Wu, Nan-Horng Lin, Peter D. Kwong, Dennis R. Burton, Chung-Yi Wu, Chi-Huey Wong,
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 5202–5210.
- O-GlcNAcylation regulates the stability and enzymatic activity of the histone methyltransferase EZH2,
Pei-Wen Lo, Jiun-Jie Shie, Chein-Hung Chen, Chung-Yi Wu, Tsui-Ling Hsu, Chi-Huey Wong,
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2018, 115, 7302–7307.
- A Neutralizing Antibody Recognizing Primarily N -Linked Glycan Targets the Silent Face of the HIV Envelope,
Tongqing Zhou, Chi-Huey Wong, et al.,
Immunity 2018, 48, 500–513.e6.
- Design of Disaccharide Modules for a Programmable One-Pot Synthesis of Building Blocks with LacNAc Repeating Units for Asymmetric N-Glycans,
Cheng-Yueh Ting, Yu-Wei Lin, Chung-Yi Wu, Chi-Huey Wong,
Asian J. Org. Chem. 2017, 6, 1800–1807.
- Catalysis from A to Z: A Concise Encyclopedia,
Boy Cornils, Wolfgang A. Herrmann, Chi-Huey Wong, Horst -Werner Zanthoff (Eds.),
Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2013.
- Broad neutralization coverage of HIV by multiple highly potent antibodies,
Laura M. Walker, Chi-Huey Wong, et al.,
Nature 2011, 477, 466–470.
- A Potent and Broad Neutralizing Antibody Recognizes and Penetrates the HIV Glycan Shield,
Robert Pejchal, Chi-Huey Wong, et al.
Science 2011, 334, 1097–1103.
- Toward Automated Oligosaccharide Synthesis,
Che-Hsiung Hsu, Shang-Cheng Hung, Chung-Yi Wu, Chi-Huey Wong,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 11872–11923.
- A Concise and Flexible Synthesis of the Potent Anti‐Influenza Agents Tamiflu and Tamiphosphor,
Jiun‐Jie Shie, Jim‐Min Fang, Chi‐Huey Wong,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2008, 47, 5788–5791.
- Natural killer T cells recognize diacylglycerol antigens from pathogenic bacteria,
Yuki Kinjo, Chi-Huey Wong, et al.,
Nat. Immunol. 2006, 7, 978–986.
Also of Interest
- Celebrating Chi-Huey Wong’s 70th birthday,
Angewandte Chemie International Edition.
- Chemistry in Taiwan and the Academia Sinica,
ChemViews Mag. 2015.
What is the current status of chemical research in Taiwan?
- 2014 Wolf Prize in Chemistry,
ChemViews Mag. 2014.
Professor Chi-Huey Wong, Academia Sinica and The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, USA, is this year’s winner