The KCS-Wiley Young Chemist Awards are presented annually by the Korean Chemical Society (KCS) and John Wiley & Sons. They are awarded to two young Korean scientists under the age of 40 for outstanding achievements and contributions to the community.
This year, the awards were presented to Professor Min Hyung Lee, Kyung Hee University, Yongin, South Korea, and Professor Eunsung Lee, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), South Korea, at the 122nd KCS General Meeting & Exposition on October 18, 2018.
Min Hyung Lee studied chemistry at Kwangwoon University, Seoul, South Korea, and Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA, where he received his Ph.D. in 2010 under the supervision of Teri W. Odom. He was a Postdoctoral Researcher at the University of California at Berkeley, USA, working with Ali Javey, and at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL), Berkeley, CA, USA, working with Joel Ager.
He joined Kyung Hee University in 2012 as Assistant Professor of Applied Chemistry and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2018. Min Hyung Lee’s research focuses on nanotechnology.
Eunsung Lee studied chemistry at POSTECH and Stanford University, CA, USA, where he received his Ph.D. in 2009 under the supervision of Dmitry V. Yandulov. He was a Postdoctoral Researcher at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA, working with Tobias Ritter.
Lee became Assistant Professor of Chemistry at POSTECH in 2013 and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2017. He also is a Research Fellow at POSTECH’s Institute for Basic Science (IBS) Center for Self-Assembly and Complexity. Eunsung Lee’s research interests include 18F-labeled positron-emission tomography (PET) tracers, catalysis, and organic transformations in metal–organic frameworks (MOFs).
Selected Publications by Min Hyung Lee
- Highly selective and sensitive chemoresistive humidity sensors based on rGO/MoS2 van der Waals composites,
Seo Yun Park, Yeon Hoo Kim, Seon Yong Lee, Woonbae Sohn, Jung Eun Lee, Do Hong Kim, Young-Seok Shim, Ki Chang Kwon, Kyoung Soon Choi, Hee Joun Yoo, Jun Min Suh, Museok Ko, Jong-Heun Lee, Mi Jung Lee, Soo Young Kim, Min Hyung Lee, Ho Won Jang,
J. Mater. Chem. A 2018, 6, 5016–5024.
- A soft lithographic approach to fabricate InAs nanowire field-effect transistors,
Sang Hwa Lee, Sung-Ho Shin, Morten Madsen, Kuniharu Takei, Junghyo Nah, Min Hyung Lee,
Sci. Rep. 2018.
- Neurite Guidance on Laser-Scribed Reduced Graphene Oxide,
Sang Hwa Lee, Han Byeol Lee, Yoonyoung Kim, Jae Ryeol Jeong, Min Hyung Lee, Kyungtae Kang,
Nano Lett. 2018.
- Room temperature humidity sensors based on rGO/MoS2 hybrid composites synthesized by hydrothermal method,
Seo Yun Park, Jung Eun Lee, Yeon Hoo Kim, Jason J. Kim, Young-Seok Shim, Soo Young Kim, Min Hyung Lee, Ho Won Jang,
Sens. Actuators, B 2018, 258, 775–782.
- Morphology-Directed Selective Production of Ethylene or Ethane from CO2 on a Cu Mesopore Electrode,
Ki Dong Yang, Woo Ri Ko, Jun Ho Lee, Sung Jae Kim, Hyomin Lee, Min Hyung Lee, Ki Tae Nam,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 796–800.
- High-Performance Piezoelectric Nanogenerators via Imprinted Sol–Gel BaTiO3 Nanopillar Array,
Sung-Ho Shin, Seong-Young Choi, Min Hyung Lee, Junghyo Nah,
ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2017, 9, 41099–41103.
Selected Publications by Eunsung Lee
- Reduced Pyronin B as a solution-processable and heating-free n-type dopant for soft electronics,
Eun Kwang Lee, Yonghee Kim, Jisu Back, Eunsung Lee, Joon Hak Oh,
J. Mater. Chem. C 2018, 6, 6672–6679.
- Static and dynamic coordination behaviours of copper(I) ions in hexa(2-pyridyl)benzene ligand systems,
Hyunchul Kwon, Eunsung Lee,
Dalton Trans. 2018, 47, 8448–8455.
- Coumaraz-2-on-4-ylidene: Ambiphilic N-Heterocyclic Carbenes with a Tunable Electronic Structure,
Hayoung Song, Hyunho Kim, Eunsung Lee,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 8603–8607.
- Separation of Acetylene from Carbon Dioxide and Ethylene by a Water-Stable Microporous Metal-Organic Framework with Aligned Imidazolium Groups inside the Channels,
Jaechul Lee, Chong Yang Chuah, Jaheon Kim, Youngsuk Kim, Nakeun Ko, Younggyu Seo, Kimoon Kim, Tae Hyun Bae, Eunsung Lee,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 7869–7873.
- An air-stable N-heterocyclic carbene iminoxyl borate radical zwitterion,
Youngsuk Kim, Eunsung Lee,
Chem. Commun. 2018, 54, 6824–6827.
- Soft-template synthesis of mesoporous non-precious metal catalyst with Fe-N x /C active sites for oxygen reduction reaction in fuel cells,
Yeongdong Mun, Min Jeong Kim, Shin-Ae Park, Eunsung Lee, Youngjin Ye, Seonggyu Lee, Yong-Tae Kim, Sungjun Kim, Ok-Hee Kim, Yong-Hun Cho, Yung-Eun Sung, Jinwoo Lee,
Appl. Catal., B 2018, 222, 191–199.
Also of Interest