Francesco De Angelis, University of L’Aquila, Italy, and former President of the Società Chimica Italiana (SCI, Italian Chemical Society), celebrates his 70th birthday on October 19, 2019.
Francesco De Angelis received his Ph.D. in chemistry from the University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Italy, in 1974 under the supervision of Rosario Nicoletti. He became Assistant Professor there in 1981 and joined the University of L’Aquila as Associate Professor of Organic Chemistry in 1987. He was promoted to Full Professor in 2001. His research interests lie in the fields of organic synthesis, natural organic compounds, and mass spectrometry.
De Angelis was President of SCI from 2005 to 2007, a Member of the Executive Board of the European Chemical Society (EuChemS) from 2010 until 2017, and President of the European Chemistry Thematic Network (ECTN) from 2013 to 2015. In addition to other commitments, he serves as a Member of the ChemRxiv Scientific Advisory Board. Among other honors, he received the Gold Medal “Domenico Marotta” of the SCI in 2011, the “Constantin Istrati” Medal from the Romanian Chemical Society in 2016, and the EuChemS Service Award in 2018. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry and an Honorary Fellow of ChemPubSoc Europe.
- An Unprecedented Retro-Mumm Rearrangement Revealed by ESI-MS/MS, IRMPD Spectroscopy, and DFT Calculations,
Claudio Iacobucci, Samantha Reale, Massimiliano Aschi, Jos Oomens, Giel Berden, Francesco De Angelis,
Chem. Eur. J. 2018, 24, 7026–7032.
- Elusive Reaction Intermediates in Solution Explored by ESI-MS: Reverse Periscope for Mechanistic Investigations,
Claudio Iacobucci, Samantha Reale, Francesco De Angelis,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 2980–2993.
- Universal mass spectrometric analysis of poly(ionic liquid)s,
Martina M. Cecchini, Jan Steinkoenig, Samantha Reale, Leonie Barner, Jiayin Yuan, Anja S. Goldmann, Francesco De Angelis, Christopher Barner-Kowollik,
Chem. Sci. 2016, 7, 4912–4921.
- Dinuclear Copper Intermediates in Copper(I)-Catalyzed Azide-Alkyne Cycloaddition Directly Observed by Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry,
Claudio Iacobucci, Samantha Reale, Jean-François Gal, Francesco De Angelis,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 3065–3068.
- Poly(ethylene glycol)-Based Ionic Liquids: Properties and Uses as Alternative Solvents in Organic Synthesis and Catalysis,
Martina Maya Cecchini, Clarence Charnay, Francesco De Angelis, Frédéric Lamaty, Jean Martinez, Evelina Colacino,
ChemSusChem 2014, 7, 45–65.
- Methyltrioxorhenium Catalysis in Nonconventional Solvents: A Great Catalyst in a Safe Reaction Medium,
Marcello Crucianelli, Raffaele Saladino, Francesco De Angelis,
ChemSusChem 2010, 3, 524–540.
Also of Interest
- Commitment to European Chemistry,
Vera Koester, Francesco De Angelis,
ChemViews Mag. 2018.
F. De Angelis, Italy, on EuCheMS, ChemPubSoc Europe, the Italian Chemical Society, and his motivation for society work
- ChemPubSoc Europe Fellows Program,
Eva E. Wille,
ChemViews Mag. 2015.
A Unique Experiment – A Unique Success: European Chemical Societies Instigate Honors Program