Professor Suning Wang, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON, Canada, passed away on April 27, 2020. She was well-known for her work on the chemistry of luminescent, photochromic, photoresponsive, and charge-transport materials, as well as organoboron compounds.
Suning Wang was born on September 19, 1958. She studied chemistry at Jilin University, Chang-Chun, China, and received her Ph.D. in 1986 from Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA, under the supervision of Richard D. Adams. After post-doctoral research with John P. Fackler, Jr., at Texas A&M University, College Station, USA, Wang joined the University of Windsor, ON, Canada, as Assistant Professor in 1990. She was promoted to Associate Professor there in 1993 and moved to Queen’s University in 1996. In 2000, she was promoted to Full Professor of Chemistry at Queen’s University and since 2004, she was Queen’s University Research Chair.
Among many other honors, Wang received a Robert Welch Postdoctoral Fellowship in 1987, the Rutherford Memorial Medal in Chemistry from the Royal Society of Canada in 2002, and the Alcan Award for Distinguished Contributions in Inorganic Chemistry from the Canadian Society for Chemistry in 2007. She was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, the Royal Society of Chemistry, UK, and of the Chemical Institute of Canada. Among other commitments, she served on several Editorial Advisory Boards, including those of ChemPlusChem, Materials Chemistry Frontiers, and Inorganic Chemistry Frontiers.
- Highly Efficient Blue Phosphorescence from Triarylboron-Functionalized Platinum(II) Complexes of N-Heterocyclic Carbenes,
Zachary M. Hudson, Christina Sun, Michael G. Helander, Yi-Lu Chang, Zheng-Hong Lu, Suning Wang,
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 13930–13933.
- Four-Coordinate Organoboron Compounds with a π-Conjugated Chelate Ligand for Optoelectronic Applications,
Ying-Li Rao, Suning Wang,
Inorg. Chem. 2011, 50, 12263–12274.
- Impact of Donor−Acceptor Geometry and Metal Chelation on Photophysical Properties and Applications of Triarylboranes,
Zachary M. Hudson, Suning Wang,
Acc. Chem. Res. 2009, 42, 1584–1596.
- Reversible Intramolecular C−C Bond Formation/Breaking and Color Switching Mediated by a N,C-Chelate in (2-ph-py)BMes2 and (5-BMes2-2-ph-py)BMes2,
Ying-Li Rao, Hazem Amarne, Shu-Bin Zhao, Theresa M. McCormick, Sanela Martić, Yi Sun, Rui-Yao Wang, Suning Wang,
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 12898–12900.
- Enhancing Electron Accepting Ability of Triarylboron via π-Conjugation with 2,2‘-Bipy and Metal Chelation: 5,5‘-Bis(BMes2)-2,2‘-bipy and Its Metal Complexes,
Yi Sun, Nicole Ross, Shu-Bin Zhao, Krista Huszarik, Wen-Li Jia, Rui-Yao Wang, Donal Macartney, Suning Wang,
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 129, 7510–7511.
- Charge-Transfer Emission in Nonplanar Three-Coordinate Organoboron Compounds for Fluorescent Sensing of Fluoride,
Xiang Yang Liu, Dong Ren Bai, Suning Wang,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2006, 45, 5475–5478.
Also of Interest
- Author Profile: Suning Wang,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 11112.