Professor Wolfgang Kaim, University of Stuttgart, Germany, has been awarded the Alfred Stock Memorial Award by the German Chemical Society (Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker, GDCh) on September 24, 2014. The award was presented during the 17th Annual Meeting of the Wöhler Association taking place September 24–26, 2014, in Saarbrücken.
The Alfred Stock Memorial Award recognizes outstanding research in the field of inorganic chemistry.
Wolfgang Kaim studied chemistry and physics at the Universities of Frankfurt and Konstanz, Germany, and obtained his PhD with a thesis on main group organometallic chemistry in 1978. After postdoctoral research with F. A. Cotton at Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA, and his habilitation at the University of Frankfurt, he was appointed full professor at the University of Stuttgart, Germany, in 1987. Professor Kaim has authored over 600 research publications in refereed journals and supervised more than 60 PhD theses. He has recently received the Luis Federico Leloir Award for International Cooperation in Science from the Government of Argentina.
His research topics include the coordination chemistry of unsaturated ligands with organic, organometallic, and inorganic electrophiles, complexes with non-innocent ligands, as well as charge, electron, and spin transfer processes.
- Sensitivity of a Strained C–C Single Bond to Charge Transfer: Redox Activity in Mononuclear and Dinuclear Ruthenium Complexes of Bis(arylimino)acenaphthene (BIAN) Ligands,
Prasenjit Mondal, Hemlata Agarwala, Rahul Dev Jana, Sebastian Plebst, Anita Grupp, Fabian Ehret, Shaikh M. Mobin, Wolfgang Kaim, Goutam Kumar Lahiri,
Inorg. Chem. 2014, 53, 7389–7403.
- Sensitivity of the Valence Structure in Diruthenium Complexes As a Function of Terminal and Bridging Ligands,
Abhishek Mandal, Hemlata Agarwala, Ritwika Ray, Sebastian Plebst, Shaikh M. Mobin, José Luis Priego, Reyes Jiménez-Aparicio, Wolfgang Kaim, Goutam Kumar Lahiri,
Inorg. Chem. 2014, 53, 6082–6093.
- Ligand-Directed Molecular Architectures: Self-Assembly of Two-Dimensional Rectangular Metallacycles and Three-Dimensional Trigonal or Tetragonal Prisms,
Cheng-Yong Su, Yue-Peng Cai, Chun-Long Chen, Mark D. Smith, Wolfgang Kaim, Hans-Conrad zur Loye,
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003, 125, 8595–8613.
- Exploration of Mixed-Valence Chemistry: Inventing New Analogues of the Creutz-Taube Ion,
Wolfgang Kaim, Axel Klein, Markus Glöckle,
Acc. Chem. Res. 2000, 33, 755–763.
- Copper – A “Modern” Bioelement,
Wolfgang Kaim, Jochen Rall,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 1996, 35, 43–60.
- Bioinorganic Chemistry – Inorganic Elements in the Chemistry of Life: An Introduction and Guide,
Wolfgang Kaim, Brigitte Schwederski, Axel Klein,