Professor Jan H. van Maarseveen, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, has received the KNCV Van Marumpenning 2016 from the Koninklijke Nederlandse Chemische Vereniging (KNCV, Royal Netherlands Chemical Society). The award was presented at the “De Avond van de Chemie” (A Night of Chemistry) event in Leiden, The Netherlands, on October 13, 2016.
The KNCV Van Marumpenning honors achievements in improving chemistry’s image in society. Van Maarseveen is recognized for his work as a teacher and science communicator, and his contributions to promoting the social relevance of chemistry.
Jan H. van Maarseveen received his Ph.D. from Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, and started his career in the pharmaceutical industry. He joined the University of Amsterdam in 1999 as Assistant Professor, and was promoted to Associate Professor in 1999 and to Full Professor in 2015. Van Maarseveen is a Member of the International Advisory Board of the European Journal of Organic Chemistry. His research focuses on bio-inspired organic synthesis.
- Formal Synthesis of Solanoeclepin A: Enantioselective Allene Diboration and Intramolecular [2+2] Photocycloaddition for the Construction of the Tricyclic Core,
Roel A. Kleinnijenhuis, Brian J. J. Timmer, Ginger Lutteke, Jan M. M. Smits, René de Gelder, Jan H. van Maarseveen, Henk Hiemstra,
Chem. Eur. J. 2016, 22, 1266–1269.
- Consecutive Pictet-Spengler Condensations toward Bioactive 8-Benzylprotoberberines: Highly Selective Total Syntheses of (+)-Javaberine A, (+)-Javaberine B, and (-)-Latifolian A,
Jenifer Kayhan, Martin J. Wanner, Steen Ingemann, Jan H. van Maarseveen, Henk Hiemstra,
Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2016, 2016, 3705–3708.
- Cinchona Alkaloid Catalyzed Sulfa-Michael Addition Reactions Leading to Enantiopure β-Functionalized Cysteines,
Arjen C. Breman, Suze E. M. Telderman, Roy P. M. van Santen, Jamie I. Scott, Jan H. van Maarseveen, Steen Ingemann, Henk Hiemstra,
J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80, 10561–10574.
- Asymmetric Organocatalytic Henry Reaction,
Tommaso Marcelli, Richard N. S. van der Haas, Jan H. van Maarseveen, Henk Hiemstra,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2006, 45, 929–931.
- Cupreines and Cupreidines: An Emerging Class of Bifunctional Cinchona Organocatalysts,
Tommaso Marcelli, Jan H. van Maarseveen, Henk Hiemstra,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2006, 45, 7496–7504.
- CuI-Catalyzed Alkyne-Azide “Click” Cycloadditions from a Mechanistic and Synthetic Perspective,
Victoria D. Bock, Henk Hiemstra, Jan H. van Maarseveen,
Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2006, 2006, 51–68.
- Click Chemistry: Copper Clusters Catalyse the Cycloaddition of Azides with Terminal Alkynes,
Laura Durán Pachón, Jan H. van Maarseveen, Gadi Rothenberg,
Adv. Synth. Catal. 2005, 347, 811–815.
Also of Interest
- Mitigating Climate Change: CO2 and the Sun, a Cool Couple (TEDx Talk, see video below),
Jan van Maarseveen, 2014.