Merck is integrating sustainability more strongly as an essential component of its corporate strategy by pursuing three specific goals, which are reflected in a total of seven focus areas.
Goal 1: In 2030, Merck will achieve human progress for more than one billion people through sustainable science and technology.
• Sustainable innovations and technologies for customers of Merck
• Impact of technologies and products of Merck on health and well-being
Goal 2: By 2030, the company will integrate sustainability into all its value chains.
• Sustainability culture and values
• Sustainable and transparent supply chain
• Securing the company’s social license to operate in all regions
Goal 3: By 2040, Merck will achieve climate neutrality and reduce its resource consumption.
• Climate change and emissions
• Water and resource intensity
By focusing on these topics, Merck wants to contribute to achieving the United Nations’ goals for sustainable development. The topic of sustainability should be integrated into the business strategies and taken into account in business decisions. In addition, the company plans to link the variable compensation of the Executive Board and senior management to the progress made in achieving the sustainability goals, and to report annually on the current status of the implementation of its sustainability strategy.
- Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany