Nobel Prize in Physics 2011

Nobel Prize in Physics 2011

Author: ChemistryViews

The Nobel Prize in Physics for 2011 has been awarded with one half to Professor Saul Perlmutter and the other half to Professors Brian P. Schmidt and Adam G. Riess.

The two teams located and identified 50 distant supernovae that were suitable for measuring the light intensity from, to find signs that the expansion of the Universe was slowing down. They found that the light from these supernovae was weaker than expected, leading to the conclusion that the expansion of the Universe is not slowing down but is in fact accelerating.

The implication of this discovery is that three quarters of the Universe is an unknown form of energy, which together with equally unknown dark matter, constitutes 95 % of the Universe. Only the remaining 5 % is regular matter of galaxies, stars, and planets.

Professor Saul Perlmutter, of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and University of California, Berkeley, USA; Professor Brian P. Schmidt, of Australian National University, Weston Creek, Australia; and Professor Adam G. Riess, of Johns Hopkins University and Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, USA, are all published Wiley authors.

“We are honored to be able to count Professors Perlmutter, Schmidt and Riess among our authors and congratulate the laureates for this recognition of their work and discoveries, which changed our view of the universe,” said Dr. Jon Walmsley, Vice President & Managing Director, Physical Science.

All three laureates have written articles for the Wiley journals Annals of the NY Academy of Science and Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

Professors Perlmutter, Schmidt and Riess join a selection of Wiley authors who have won Nobel Prizes and this year’s award means that there are a total of 79 laureates in Physics who have published with Wiley.

Papers by Perlmutter

Papers by Schmidt

Papers by Riess

► Also of interest:

The book below is recommended there

The Accelerating Universe: Infinite Expansion, the Cosmological Constant, and the Beauty of the Cosmos,
Mario Livio,

Wiley, New York, USA, 2001.
ISBN: 978-0-471-39976-6

Leave a Reply

Kindly review our community guidelines before leaving a comment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *