At the Youth Ag-Summit in Canberra, Australia, in August, 100 young leaders from 33 countries discussed and developed solutions on how to tackle global food challenges. The event was organized by Bayer CropScience and the Australian youth organization Future Farmers Network. The outcome of the event is the “Canberra Youth Ag Declaration”, a global call for action to help solve the pressing issues in modern agriculture. The declaration is presented at the UN Committee on World Food Security in Rome.
The themes of the Declaration are underpinned by solutions and actions, with delegates assigned specifics roles to motivate industry change. These solutions include:
- Develop a fair and open multi-channel platform for formal and informal educators in the agricultural industry to build greater skills through ongoing education;
- Globally promote the importance of agriculture and enhance the image of farmers and the breadth of opportunities in
the agricultural industry;
- Empower consumers to directly improve the sustainability of supply chains by developing educational platforms and tools that promote the responsible use of existing resources and drive social change;
- Create a global network that links young innovators to agricultural needs, in order to drive knowledge, information sharing, and the funding of solutions;
- Boost youth impact and leadership skills through membership of relevant youth ag organisations to provide experience, mentorship, and support for youth vision.
- Bayer AG, Leverkusen, Germany
- Youth Ag-Summit
- Future Farmers Network (FFN), Australia