Joachim Sauer, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, celebrates his 70th birthday on April 19, 2019. Sauer’s research in the field of quantum chemistry focuses on solids and their surfaces. He, for example, studies processes on catalysts such as zeolites or metal oxides.
Joachim Sauer studied chemistry at Humboldt University, where he received his Ph.D. in 1974. He joined the research staff at the Central Institute of Physical Chemistry, Academy of Sciences, Berlin, in 1977. From 1990 to 1991, he worked at BIOSYM Technologies, San Diego, CA, USA. From 1992 to 1996, Sauer served as Head of the Quantum Chemistry Group at Humboldt University. He was appointed Full Professor of Physical and Theoretical Chemistry at Humboldt University in 1993 and remained in this position until his retirement in 2017. He now serves as Senior Researchers at Humboldt University.
Among many other honors, Sauer has received the Liebig Medal from the Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh, German Chemical Society) in 2010, the Schrödinger Medal 2019 from the World Association of Theoretical and Computational Chemists (WATOC), and multiple honorary doctorates. He is a Member of the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina, the Academia Europaea, and the European Academy of Sciences (EURASC), an Honorary Member of the Israel Chemical Society (ICS), and a Foreign Member of the Royal Society, London, UK.
- Characterization of Phonon Vibrations of Silica Bilayer Films,
Nina F. Richter, Felix E. Feiten, Jagriti Pal, Agata Plucienik, Emre Emmez, Shamil Shaikhutdinov, Helmut Kuhlenbeck, Thomas Risse, Hans-Joachim Freund, Itziar Goikoetxea, Radosław Włodarczyk, Joachim Sauer,
J. Phys. Chem. C 2019, 123, 7110–7117.
- Acid strength of zeolitic Brønsted sites—Dependence on dielectric properties,
Marcin Rybicki, Joachim Sauer,
Catal. Today 2019, 323, 86–93.
- Chemically Accurate Adsorption Energies: CO and H2O on the MgO(001) Surface,
Maristella Alessio, Denis Usvyat, Joachim Sauer,
J. Chem. Theory Comput. 2018, 15, 1329–1344.
- Oxygen Defects and Surface Chemistry of Ceria: Quantum Chemical Studies Compared to Experiment,
Joachim Paier, Christopher Penschke, Joachim Sauer,
Chem. Rev. 2013, 113, 3949–3985.
- The Atomic Structure of a Metal-Supported Vitreous Thin Silica Film,
Leonid Lichtenstein, Christin Büchner, Bing Yang, Shamil Shaikhutdinov, Markus Heyde, Marek Sierka, Radosław Włodarczyk, Joachim Sauer, Hans-Joachim Freund,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 404–407.
- Oxygen vacancies in transition metal and rare earth oxides: Current state of understanding and remaining challenges,
M. Verónica Ganduglia-Pirovano, Alexander Hofmann, Joachim Sauer,
Surface Science Reports 2007, 62, 219–270.
- Hybrid functionals applied to rare-earth oxides: The example of ceria,
Juarez L. F. Da Silva, M. Verónica Ganduglia-Pirovano, Joachim Sauer, Veronika Bayer, Georg Kresse,
Phys. Rev. B 2007.
- Aluminum Siting in Silicon-Rich Zeolite Frameworks: A Combined High-Resolution 27Al NMR Spectroscopy and Quantum Mechanics / Molecular Mechanics Study of ZSM-5,
Stepan Sklenak, Jiří Dědeček, Chengbin Li, Blanka Wichterlová, Vendula Gábová, Marek Sierka, Joachim Sauer,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2007, 46, 7286–7289.
- Thermal Activation of Methane by Tetranuclear [V4O10]+,
Sandra Feyel, Jens Döbler, Detlef Schröder, Joachim Sauer, Helmut Schwarz,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2006, 45, 4681–4685.
Also of Interest
- J. Sauer Receives Liebig-Denkmünze,
ChemView Mag. 2010.
Joachim Sauer receives the Liebig-Denkmünze for his work on zeolites and transition metal oxide aggregates