The General Assembly of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) has elected Javier García-Martínez, Professor of Inorganic Chemistry at the University of Alicante, Spain, President for the 2022–2023 biennium. This is the first time that a person from a Spanish-speaking country has held this position. Javier has, so far, been a member of the IUPAC Executive Committee, Bureau, and Vice-President of its Inorganic Chemistry Division. He has been heavily involved in some of the main activities of the Union, such as the International Year of Chemistry (2011), the International Year of the Periodic Table (2019), and more recently the Organizational Structure Review (2019-2021). Javier García-Martínez succeeds Christopher M.A. Brett, Professor of Physical Chemistry at the University of Coimbra in Portugal.
Professor Ehud Keinan, President of the Israel Chemical Society, has been elected IUPAC President-elect. On January 1st, 2024, he will become IUPAC’s 41st President. GDCh Executive Director Professor Wolfram Koch was elected IUPAC Treasurer 2022 to 2025.
Javier García-Martínez studied chemistry at the University of Alicante, Spain, where he received his Ph.D. in 2000. From 2001 to 2003, he was a Fulbright Postdoctoral Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, USA. He founded Rive Technology, Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA, in 2006, an MIT spinoff commercializing nanomaterials for energy applications. Since 2012, the catalysts marketed by the company are used in several refineries around the world increasing fuel production and energy efficiency of the process. In 2019, W. R. Grace and Co. acquired Rive Technology, and now it commercializes the technology worldwide. Since 2009, Javier García-Martínez is a Professor of Inorganic Chemistry and Director of the Molecular Nanotechnology Lab at the University of Alicante.
His research focuses on porous solids, nanomaterials, catalysis, photocatalysis, and energy production and storage.
Among many other honors, Javier García-Martínez has received the Kathryn C. Hach Award from the American Chemical Society (ACS) in 2017, the Emerging Researcher Award from the ACS in 2015, the Rey Jaime I Award in 2014, and the European Young Chemist Award from the European Association for Chemical and Molecular Sciences (EuCheMS) in 2006. He is a member of the World Economic Forum, the Global Young Academy, and a Fellow of both the American Chemical Society (ACS) and the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC).
Selected Publications by Javier García-Martínez
- Chemistry Entrepreneurship
(Eds: Javier Garcia-Martinez, Kunhao Li),
Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2021.
- Enhanced activity of a bifunctional Pt/zeolite Y catalyst with an intracrystalline hierarchical pore system in the aqueous-phase hydrogenation of levulinic acid,
Hue-Tong Vu, Florian Maximilian Harth, Michael Goepel, Noemi Linares, Javier García–Martínez, Roger Gläser,
Chemical Engineering Journal 2022, 430.
- Hybrid Amino Acid‐TiO 2 Materials with Tuneable Crystalline Structure and Morphology for Photocatalytic Applications ,
Gamze Sarigul, Ignacio Chamorro‐Mena, Noemi Linares, Javier García‐Martínez, Elena Serrano,
Advanced Sustainable Systems 2021, 5.
- Standing on the Shoulders of Giants – Your Mentors and Role Models Will Shape Your Career,
Chem. Europ. J. 2021.
- Chemistry 2030: A Roadmap for a New Decade,
Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2021, 60, 4956–4960.
- Self-Pillared MFI-Type Zeolite Nanosheets as Selective Catalysts for Glycerol Dehydration to Acrolein,
Babar Ali, Xiaocheng Lan, Muhammad Tahir Arslan, Huanjun Wang, Syed Zulfiqar Ali Gilani, Shiqing Wang, Tiefeng Wang,
ACS Applied Nano Materials 2020, 3, 10966–10977.
- Surfactant‐Templated Zeolites: From Thermodynamics to Direct Observation,
Monica J. Mendoza‐Castro, Elena Serrano, Noemi Linares, Javier García‐Martínez,
Advanced Materials Interfaces 2020, 8, 2001388–.
- Meeting High Stability and Efficiency in Hybrid Light‐Emitting Diodes Based on SiO2/ZrO2Coated CsPbBr3Perovskite Nanocrystals,
Yanyan Duan, Cintia Ezquerro, Elena Serrano, Elena Lalinde, Javier García‐Martínez, Jesús R. Berenguer, Rubén D. Costa,
Advanced Functional Materials 2020, 30.
- Recent advances in the textural characterization of hierarchically structured nanoporous materials,
Katie A. Cychosz, Rémy Guillet-Nicolas, Javier García-Martínez, Matthias Thommes,
Chem. Soc. Rev. 2017, 46, 389–414.
- Surfactant-Templating of Zeolites: From Design to Application,
Alexander Sachse, Javier García-Martínez,
Chem. Mater. 2017, 29, 3827–3853.
- Development of Intracrystalline Mesoporosity in Zeolites through Surfactant-Templating,
Alexander Sachse, Aida Grau-Atienza, Erika O. Jardim, Noemi Linares, Matthias Thommes, Javier García-Martínez,
Cryst. Growth Des. 2017, 17, 4289–4305.
- Mesoporous Zeolites: Preparation, Characterization and Applications,
Javier García-Martínez, Kunhao Li (Eds.),
- Chemistry Education: Best Practices, Opportunities and Trends,
Javier García-Martínez, Elena Serrano-Torregrosa (Eds.),
- Nanotechnology for the Energy Challenge,
Javier García-Martínez (Ed.),
- The Chemical Element: Chemistry’s Contribution to Our Global Future,
Javier García-Martínez, Elena Serrano-Torregrosa (Eds.),
Also of Interest
- Interview: IUPAC’s 100-Year Anniversary,
Vera Koester, Javier García-Martínez,
Javier García-Martínez, member of the Executive Committee and the Bureau of IUPAC, about the goals and tasks of IUPAC
- Mesostructured Zeolites: Bridging the Gap Between Zeolites and MCM-41,
- Interview: Javier García-Martínez on the Commercialization of Research,
Vera Koester, Javier García-Martínez
How do you form a spin-off company from your research? J. García-Martínez talks about his experiences and how he finds time for his many roles
- Business of science: Tips and tricks for a perfect investor pitch, Nature Careers Podcast, May 2021.
- List of IUPAC Presidents on Wikipedia