The KCS-Wiley Young Chemist Awards are presented annually by the Korean Chemical Society (KCS) and John Wiley & Sons. They are awarded to two Korean scientists under the age of 40 for outstanding achievements and contributions to the community.
This year, the awards were presented to Jungwon Park (pictured left), Seoul National University, South Korea, and Kwang Seob Jeong (pictured right), Korea University, Seoul, South Korea, at the 128th General Meeting of the Korean Chemical Society in Busan, South Korea, on October 14, 2021.
Jungwon Park studied chemistry at Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), South Korea, and at the University of California, Berkeley, USA, where he received his Ph.D. in 2012. After postdoctoral research with David A. Weitz at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA, and a year as a Research Associate at Harvard University, Park joined the Institute for Basic Science (IBS), Seoul, as an Associated Researcher. He became Assistant Professor at Seoul National University in 2016 and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2020.
Park’s research interests include the physical chemistry of soft and inorganic materials, structure analysis of individual molecules, phase transitions, colloidal nanoparticles, and liquid-phase/in-situ transmission electron microscopy.
Kwang Seob Jeong studied chemistry at Korea University and at the Pennsylvania State University, University Park, USA, where he received his Ph.D. in 2013. After postdoctoral research at the University of Chicago, IL, USA, with Philippe
Guyot-Sionnest, Jeong joined Korea University as Assistant Professor in 2015. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 2019.
Jeong’s research focuses on the development and characterization of novel functional nanomaterials, in particular, colloidal quantum nanomaterials emitters.
Selected Publications by Jungwon Park
- Rapid Access to Ordered Mesoporous Carbons for Chemical Hydrogen Storage,
Uiseok Jeong, HyeonJi Kim, Sreerangappa Ramesh, Nesibe A. Dogan, Sirinapa Wongwilawan, Sungsu Kang, Jungwon Park, Eun Seon Cho, Cafer T. Yavuz,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2021, 60, 22478–22486.
- Graphene Oxide-Supported Microwell Grids for Preparing Cryo‐EM Samples with Controlled Ice Thickness,
Min-Ho Kang, Junsun Park, Sungsu Kang, Sungho Jeon, Minyoung Lee, Ji-Yeon Shim, Jeeyoung Lee, Tae Jin Jeon, Min Kyung Ahn, Sung Mi Lee, Ohkyung Kwon, Byung Hyo Kim, Joel R. Meyerson, Min Jae Lee, Kwang-Il Lim, Soung‐Hun Roh, Won Chul Lee, Jungwon Park,
Adv. Mater. 2021.
- Reversing the Irreversible: Thermodynamic Stabilization of LiAlH4 Nanoconfined Within a Nitrogen-Doped Carbon Host,
YongJun Cho, Sichi Li, Jonathan L. Snider, Maxwell A. T. Marple, Nicholas A. Strange, Joshua D. Sugar, Farid El Gabaly, Andreas Schneemann, Sungsu Kang, Min-ho Kang, Hayoung Park, Jungwon Park, Liwen F. Wan, Harris E. Mason, Mark D. Allendorf, Brandon C. Wood, Eun Seon Cho, Vitalie Stavila,
ACS Nano 2021, 15, 10163–10174.
- High-Resolution EM of Colloidal Nanocrystal Growth Using Graphene Liquid Cells,
Jong Min Yuk, Jungwon Park, Peter Ercius, Kwanpyo Kim, Daniel J. Hellebusch, Michael F. Crommie, Jeong Yong Lee, A. Zettl, A. Paul Alivisatos,
Science 2012, 336, 61–64.
- Hetero-Epitaxial Anion Exchange Yields Single-Crystalline Hollow Nanoparticles,
Jungwon Park, Haimei Zheng, Young-wook Jun, A. Paul Alivisatos,
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 13943–13945.
- Reaction Chemistry and Ligand Exchange at Cadmium−Selenide Nanocrystal Surfaces,
Jonathan S. Owen, Jungwon Park, Paul-Emile Trudeau, A. Paul Alivisatos,
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 12279–12281.
Selected Publications by Kwang Seob Jeong
- Beyond the Bandgap Photoluminescence of Colloidal Semiconductor Nanocrystals,
Rajesh Bera, Gahyeon Kim, Dongsun Choi, Jihye Kim, Kwang Seob Jeong,
J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2021, 12, 2562–2569.
- Ultrafast intraband Auger process in self-doped colloidal quantum dots,
Joonhyung Lim, Yun Chang Choi, Dongsun Choi, I-Ya Chang, Kim Hyeon-Deuk, Kwang Seob Jeong, Kyungwon Kwak, Minhaeng Cho,
Matter 2021, 4, 1072–1086.
- Transformation of Colloidal Quantum Dot: From Intraband Transition to Localized Surface Plasmon Resonance,
Juhee Son, Dongsun Choi, Mihyeon Park, Juyeong Kim, Kwang Seob Jeong,
Nano Lett. 2020, 20, 4985–4992.
- Mid-Infrared Photoluminescence of CdS and CdSe Colloidal Quantum Dots,
Kwang Seob Jeong, Philippe Guyot-Sionnest,
ACS Nano 2016, 10, 2225–2231.
- Colloidal Quantum Dots Intraband Photodetectors,
Zhiyou Deng, Kwang Seob Jeong, Philippe Guyot-Sionnest,
ACS Nano 2014, 8, 11707–11714.
- Air-Stable n-Doped Colloidal HgS Quantum Dots,
Kwang Seob Jeong, Zhiyou Deng, Sean Keuleyan, Heng Liu, Philippe Guyot-Sionnest,
J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2014, 5, 1139–1143.
Also of Interest