Professor Nikos Katsaros, National Centre of Scientific Research “Demokritos”, Athens, Greece, Former President of the Association of Greek Chemists (Ένωση Ελλήνων Χημικών; EEX), and Chemistry Europe Fellow passed away. His research interests included inorganic biochemistry, food chemistry, food safety, radiochemistry, the chemistry of the environment, and toxic waste management.
Nikos Katsaros was born in 1938 in Athens. He studied chemistry at the University of Athens, where he received his B.S. in 1961, and at the University of Massachusetts, USA, where he completed his M.S. in 1967 and his Ph.D. in 1968. He then served as a Visiting Research Fellow at Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY, USA, and in 1969, he joined the University of Georgia, USA, as Assistant Professor of Chemistry. In 1970, Katsaros became a Research Scientist at Nuclear Research Center “Demokritos”. In 1972, he served as a Visiting Research Fellow at Imperial College London, UK. From 1976 to 2004, he worked as a Senior Research Scientist at the National Centre of Scientific Research “Demokritos”.
In 1983–1998, Katsaros served as Visiting Professor of Chemistry at the University of Maryland, USA. From 1989 to 1993, he was Secretary of Science and Technology at the Greek Ministry of Industry, Energy, and Technology, and in 2004–2005, he served as President of the Hellenic Food Authority (EFET). Katsaros served four terms as President of the Association of Greek Chemists and was a Chemistry Europe Fellow.
- Metal complexes with the quinolone antibacterial agent N-propyl-norfloxacin: Synthesis, structure and bioactivity,
Eleni K. Efthimiadou, George Psomas, Yiannis Sanakis, Nikos Katsaros, Alexandra Karaliota,
J. Inorg. Biochem. 2007, 101, 525–535.
- Structure and biological properties of the copper(II) complex with the quinolone antibacterial drug N-propyl-norfloxacin and 2,2′-bipyridine,
Eleni K. Efthimiadou, Hellinida Thomadaki, Yiannis Sanakis, Catherine P. Raptopoulou, Nikos Katsaros, Andreas Scorilas, Alexandra Karaliota, George Psomas,
J. Inorg. Biochem. 2007, 101, 64–73.
- Mononuclear copper(II) complexes with quinolones and nitrogen-donor heterocyclic ligands: Synthesis, characterization, biological activity and interaction with DNA,
Eleni K. Efthimiadou, Nikos Katsaros, Alexandra Karaliota, George Psomas,
Inorganica Chim. Acta 2007, 360, 4093–4102.
- Synthesis, structure and biological activity of copper(II) complexes with oxolinic acid,
George Psomas, Alketa Tarushi, Eleni K. Efthimiadou, Yiannis Sanakis, Catherine P. Raptopoulou, Nikos Katsaros,
J. Inorg. Biochem. 2006, 100, 1764–1773.
- Preparation, Structure Determination and Cytotoxicity of the PdII·Bleomycin A2 Complex ,
Athanasios Papakyriakou, Ioannis Bratsos, Maria Katsarou, Nikos Katsaros,
Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2004, 2004, 3118–3126.
- NMR and Molecular Modelling Studies on the Solution Structure of the InIII−Bleomycin A2 Complex ,
Athanasios Papakyriakou, Nikos Katsaros,
Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2003, 2003, 3001–3006.