Organic chemist Jürgen O. Metzger, University of Oldenburg, Germany, celebrates his 75th birthday on November 9, 2015.
Professor Metzger’s research covers the selectivity of organic reactions, the detection of reactive intermediates using mass spectrometry, and renewable substances, in particular oils and fats, as chemical feedstocks.
Jürgen O. Metzger studied chemistry at the Universities of Tübingen, Erlangen, Berlin, and Hamburg, all Germany. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Hamburg in 1971 under the supervision of Hansjörg Sinn. He joined the University of Oldenburg, Germany, in 1974 as Academic Assistant, and finished his habilitation there in 1983. Metzger became Adjunct Professor in Oldenburg in 1991, and remained there until his retirement in 2006.
Among other honors, Professor Metzger has received the Océ van der Grinten Award for the Promotion of Science in the Area of Environmental Protection in 1981, the August Claas Award “Renewable Raw Materials” in 1994, the Wöhler Prize for Resource-Saving Processes from the Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh, German Chemical Society) in 2007, and the Normann Medal of the German Society for Fat Science in 2009.
- Synthesis of Ethers by GaBr3-Catalyzed Reduction of Carboxylic Acid Esters and Lactones by Siloxanes,
Ursula Biermann, Jürgen O. Metzger,
ChemSusChem 2014, 7, 644–649.
- Catalytic Deoxygenation of Carbohydrate Renewable Resources,
Jürgen O. Metzger,
ChemCatChem 2013, 5, 680–682.
- Initiation of Radical Chain Reactions of Thiol Compounds and Alkenes without any Added Initiator: Thiol-Catalyzed cis/trans Isomerization of Methyl Oleate,
Ursula Biermann, Werner Butte, Rainer Koch, Patrice A. Fokou, Oǧuz Türünç, Michael A. R. Meier, Jürgen O. Metzger,
Chem. Eur. J. 2012, 18, 8201–8207.
- Oils and Fats as Renewable Raw Materials in Chemistry,
Ursula Biermann, Uwe Bornscheuer, Michael A. R. Meier, Jürgen O. Metzger, Hans J. Schäfer,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 3854–3871.
- Sustainable global energy supply based on lignocellulosic biomass from afforestation of degraded areas,
Jürgen O. Metzger, Aloys Hüttermann,
Naturwissenschaften 2009, 96, 279–288.
- Plant oil renewable resources as green alternatives in polymer science,
Michael A. R. Meier, Jürgen O. Metzger, Ulrich S. Schubert,
Chemical Soc. Rev. 2007, 36, 1788.
- Environmental Performance Metrics for Daily Use in Synthetic Chemistry,
Marco Eissen, Jürgen O. Metzger,
Chem. Eur. J. 2002, 8, 3580–3585.
- 10 Years after Rio – Concepts on the Contribution of Chemistry to a Sustainable Development,
Marco Eissen, Jürgen O. Metzger, Eberhard Schmidt, Uwe Schneidewind,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2002, 41, 414–436.
- New Syntheses with Oils and Fats as Renewable Raw Materials for the Chemical Industry,
Ursula Biermann, Wolfgang Friedt, Siegmund Lang, Wilfried Lühs, Guido Machmüller, Jürgen O. Metzger, Mark Rüsch gen. Klaas, Hans J. Schäfer, Manfred P. Schneider,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2000, 39, 2206–2224.
Also of Interest
- Author Profile: Jürgen O. Metzger,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 9237.