The German Chemical Industry Association (VCI) has elected Dr. Kurt Bock (pictured) as its next president. Bock is Chairman of the Executive Board of BASF SE, Ludwigshafen, Germany, and has been a member of the VCI executive council and board since fall 2011. His two-year term began on September 24, 2016 and runs until the 2018 annual general meeting.
The VCI vice-presidents elected at the meeting are:
- Werner Baumann, Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors, Bayer AG,
- Hans Van Bylen, Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors, Henkel AG & Co. KGaA,
- Dr. Klaus Engel, Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors, Evonik Industries AG, Essen, Germany
The president and three vice-presidents constitute the association’s executive board.
Newly elected or re-elected members of the VCI’s presidential council are:
- Hubertus von Baumbach, C.H. Boehringer Sohn AG & Co. KG,
- Dr. Wolfgang Büchele, Linde AG,
- Dr. Willem Huisman, Dow Deutschland Inc.,
- Dr. Stefan Oschmann, Merck KGaA,
- Prof. Dr. Rudolf Staudigl, Wacker Chemie AG,
- Patrick Thomas, Covestro AG,
- Matthias Zachert, LANXESS AG.
Kurt Bock, born in Rahden, Eastern Westphalia, Germany, in 1958, studied business administration at the Universities of Münster and Cologne in Germany, and Pennsylvania State University, in the United States. In 1985, he earned his doctorate from the University of Bonn, Germany, and then joined the Finance division of BASF, Ludwigshafen, Germany. In 1991, he moved to the Engineering and Plastics division as Director of Technology, Planning and Controlling. In 1992, Bock moved to Robert Bosch GmbH, where he served initially as Senior Vice President, Finance and Accounting, later as Mangaging Director of the company’s Brazilian subsidiary. After returning to BASF in 1998, he served as Chief Financial Officer, BASF Corporation, New Jersey, USA.
Bock joined the Board of Executive Directors of BASF as Chief Financial Officer in 2003. From 2007, he also served as CEO of BASF Corporation, New Jersey, USA.
Kurt Bock has served as Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors, BASF SE, since 2011. He is currently responsible for Legal, Taxes & Insurance, Strategic Planning & Controlling, Communications & Government Relations, Global Executive Human Resources, Investor Relations and Compliance.
- Verband der chemischen Industrie (VCI; German Chemical Industry Association), Frankfurt, Germany
The VCI represents the politico-economic interests of over 1,650 German chemical companies and German subsidiaries of foreign businesses