The KCS-Wiley Young Chemist Awards are presented annually by the Korean Chemical Society (KCS) and John Wiley & Sons. They are awarded to two young Korean scientists under the age of 40 for outstanding achievements and contributions to the community.
This year, the awards were presented to Hyung Ho Lee, Seoul National University, Republic of Korea, and Kyungwon Kwak, Korea University, Seoul, at the 118th KCS General Meeting in Busan, Republic of Korea, October 12–14, 2016.
Hyung Ho Lee studied food science, biotechnology, and chemistry at Seoul National University, where he received his Ph.D. in 2007. He became Assistant Professor, at Kookmin University, Seoul, Republic of Korea, in 2010, and returned to Seoul National University as Assistant Professor in 2014.
His research interests include protein-protein interactions and protein-lipid interactions, as well as the use of X-ray crystallography to reveal the structures of biomolecules.
Kyungwon Kwak studied chemistry at Korea University, and received his Ph.D. from Stanford University, CA, USA, under the supervision of Michael D. Fayer in 2008. He joined Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Republic of Korea, as Assistant Professor in 2011, and returned to Korea University as Associate Professor in 2016.
His research interests include infrared spectroscopy, molecular dynamics, and biomimetic structures.
Selected Publications by Hyung Ho Lee
- Noncanonical DNA-binding mode of repressor and its disassembly by antirepressor,
Minsik Kim, Hee Jung Kim, Sang Hyeon Son, Hye Jin Yoon, Youngbin Lim, Jong Woo Lee, Yeong-Jae Seok, Kyeong Sik Jin, Yeon Gyu Yu, Seong Keun Kim, Sangryeol Ryu, Hyung Ho Lee,
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2016, 113, E2480–E2488.
- Biochemical and Molecular Modeling Studies of the Interaction between Human CEP55 and TEX14,
Hee Jung Kim, Hyunook Kim, Rakwoo Chang, Yeon Gyu Yu, Hyung Ho Lee,
Bull. Korean Chem. Soc. 2016, 37, 847–854.
- Crystallization and preliminary X-ray crystallographic analysis of Z-ring-associated protein (ZapD) from Escherichia coli,
Sang Hyeon Son, Hyung Ho Lee,
Acta Crystallogr., Sect. F: Struct. Biol. Commun. 2015, 71, 194–198.
- Simple amino acid tags improve both expression and secretion of Candida antarctica lipase B in recombinant Escherichia coli,
Sun-Ki Kim, Yong-Cheol Park, Hyung Ho Lee, Seung Taeg Jeon, Won-Ki Min, Jin-Ho Seo,
Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2015, 112, 346–355.
- Crystal structure of GTPase-activating domain from human MgcRacGAP,
Atsushi Matsuura, Hyung Ho Lee,
Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2013, 435, 367–372.
Selected Publications by Kyungwon Kwak
- Infrared Pump–Probe Study of Nanoconfined Water Structure in Reverse Micelle,
Jooyong Lee, Michał Maj, Kyungwon Kwak, Minhaeng Cho,
J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2014, 5, 3404–3407.
- Biomimetic self-templating supramolecular structures,
Woo-Jae Chung, Jin-Woo Oh, Kyungwon Kwak, Byung Yang Lee, Joel Meyer, Eddie Wang, Alexander Hexemer, Seung-Wuk Lee,
Nature 2011, 478, 364–368.
- Solute−Solvent Complex Switching Dynamics of Chloroform between Acetone and Dimethylsulfoxide−Two-Dimensional IR Chemical Exchange Spectroscopy,
Kyungwon Kwak, Daniel E. Rosenfeld, Jean K. Chung, Michael D. Fayer,
J. Phys. Chem. B 2008, 112, 13906–13915.
- Dynamics around solutes and solute solvent complexes in mixed solvents,
K. Kwak, S. Park, M. D. Fayer,
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2007, 104, 14221–14226.
- Ultrafast Carbon-Carbon Single-Bond Rotational Isomerization in Room-Temperature Solution,
Science 2006, 313, 1951–1955.
Also of Interest