Glühwein is a traditional hot drink made from wine and spices, which is enjoyed my many people at the Christmas markets in Europe.
This short video contains a demonstration of how glühwein can be set alight. Although the alcohol content in glühwein is not high enough for a sample of the drink to be set alight directly like, for example, brandy. However, by heating glühwein in a simplified distillation set-up you create alcohol vapor, which can be set alight.
Detailed information on the experiment
- Mit Messwerten antworten,
Annette Kakoschke, Helma Kleinhorst, Adrian Russek, Nicolas Efing, Katrin Sommer,
CHEMKON 2013, 20 (5), 246–254.
The original idea of the video was by:
- Dr. Adrian Russek, Neues Gymnasium Bochum, Germany
- Annette Kakoschke, Ph.D. Student, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Germany
- Professor Katrin Sommer, Didactics for Chemistry, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Germany
The video was made by:
- Amandine Schmitz, Laboratory Apprentice, Ruhr-Universität Bochum,
- Marvin Heller, Laboratory Apprentice, Ruhr-Universität Bochum,
- Kristina Kluthke, Laboratory Assistant, Ruhr-Universität Bochum,