Tom Tritton, President and CEO at Chemical Heritage Foundation, Philadelphia, USA, talked at the Official IYC 2011 Opening Ceremony in Paris about the history of chemistry from the 17th century to present day. He did so by presenting the following chemists as the top ten rockstars in chemistry.
We would like to continue the list with your help. Who do you think should be added from today’s chemists?
Please give your suggestions and a short description of why you think this person is a chemistry rockstar as a comment to this article by April 15th, 2011.
The best three entries will receive the book Nobel Faces as a prize.
►Thank you for your entries!
As we were looking for a today’s chemist, the books will go to:
- K Liu suggesting Ada Yonath
- Alejandro Lacalle suggesting Frederick Sanger
- Christoph Winkler suggesting Carl Djerassi
Congratulations to the lucky winners!
Chemistry Top Ten Superstars
(Ladies first and because she has so many firsts! The gentlemen are ordered by date)
- Marie Curie (1867 – 1934)
- Antoine Lavoisier (1743 – 1794)
- Joseph Priestley (1732 – 1804)
- John Dalton (1766 – 1844)
- Justus Liebig (1803 – 1873)
- Friedrich Wöhler (1800 – 1882)
- Dmitri Mendeleev (1834 – 1907)
- Emil Fischer (1852 – 1919)
- Robert B. Woodward (1917 – 1979)
- Linus Pauling (1901 – 1994)