The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) has awarded the 2019 Distinguished Women in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering awards. The awardees have been selected based on excellence in basic or applied research, distinguished accomplishments in teaching or education, demonstrated leadership or managerial excellence in the chemical sciences, and/or a history of leadership and community service during their careers.
The awards program was initiated as part of the 2011 International Year of Chemistry celebrations. It acknowledges and promotes the work of women chemists and chemical engineers worldwide. The award ceremony took place during the IUPAC World Chemistry Congress in Paris, France, on July 10, 2019.
The awardees are:
- Kim Baldridge, School of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, Tianjin, China
- Donna Blackmond, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
- Susan Bourne, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, South Africa
- Janine Cossy, ESPCI (Ecole Supérieure de Physique et de Chimie Industrielles de la Ville de Paris), Paris, France
- Vicki Grassian, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, USA
- Otilia Mó Romero, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain
- Elizabeth Ann Nalley, Cameron University, Lawton, OK, USA
- Carol Vivien Robinson, University of Oxford, UK
- Molly Shoichet, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
- Luisa Torsi, University of Bari Aldo Moro, Bari, Italy
- Chris Willis, University of Bristol, UK
- Pernilla Wittung-Stafshede, Chalmers University, Gothenburg, Sweden
Recent Publications by the Awardees
- Azaindenocorannulenes: Synthesis, Properties, and Chirality,
Xiaoqi Tian, Loïc M. Roch, Nicolas Vanthuyne, Jun Xu, Kim K. Baldridge, Jay S. Siegel,
Org. Lett. 2019, 21, 3510–3513.
- Highly Modular Synthesis of 1,2-Diketones via Multicomponent Coupling Reactions of Isocyanides as CO Equivalents,
Anne-Marie Dechert-Schmitt, Michelle R. Garnsey, Hanna M. Wisniewska, James I. Murray, Taegyo Lee, Daniel W. Kung, Neal Sach, Donna G. Blackmond,
ACS Catal. 2019, 9, 4508–4515.
- Preferential enclathration of lutidine isomers by diol-hosts,
Jacky S. Bouanga Boudiombo, Hong Su, Neil Ravenscroft, Susan A. Bourne, Edwin Weber, Luigi R. Nassimbeni,
J. Mol. Struct. 2019, 1181, 636–644.
- Synthesis of Highly Substituted Azepanones from 2H-Azirines by a Stepwise Annulation/Ring-Opening Sequence,
Alexandre Dupas, Pierre-Alexandre Lhotellier, Gérard Guillamot, Christophe Meyer, Janine Cossy,
Org. Lett. 2019, 21, 3589–3593.
- https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaerosci.2019.04.019″>Design and evaluation of a high-flowrate nanoparticle respiratory deposition (NRD) sampler,
Theresa I. Szabo McCollom, Larissa V. Stebounova, Jae Hong Park, Vicki H. Grassian, Natalia I. Gonzalez-Pech, Thomas M. Peters,
J. Aerosol Sci. 2019, 134, 72–79.
- Complexes between H2 and neutral oxyacid beryllium derivatives. The role of angular strain,
Ibon Alkorta, M. Merced Montero-Campillo, José Elguero, Manuel Yáñez, Otilia Mó,
Mol. Phys. 2018, 117, 1142–1150.
- How chemistry has improved our food supply,
Elizabeth Ann Nalley,
Abstr. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 247.
- MmpL3 is a lipid transporter that binds trehalose monomycolate and phosphatidylethanolamine,
Chih-Chia Su, Philip A. Klenotic, Jani Reddy Bolla, Georgiana E. Purdy, Carol V. Robinson, Edward W. Yu,
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2019, 116, 11241–11246.
- Effect of Sugar 2′,4′-Modifications on Gene Silencing Activity of Small Interfering RNA Duplexes,
Elise Malek-Adamian, Johans Fakhoury, Amy E. Arnold, Saúl Martínez-Montero, Molly S. Shoichet, Masad J. Damha,
Nucleic Acid Ther. 2019.
- Deposition of nanomaterials: A crucial step in biosensor fabrication,
Rafiq Ahmad, Otto S. Wolfbeis, Yoon-Bong Hahn, Husam N. Alshareef, Luisa Torsi, Khaled N. Salama,
Mater. Today Commun. 2018, 17, 289–321.
- Metal- and Oxidant-Free Alkenyl C–H/Aromatic C–H Cross-Coupling Using Electrochemically Generated Iodosulfonium Ions,
Ryutaro Hayashi, Akihiro Shimizu, Jonathan A. Davies, Yu Ishizaki, Chris Willis, Jun-ichi Yoshida,
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 12891–12895.
- Crowding-Induced Elongated Conformation of Urea-Unfolded Apoazurin: Investigating the Role of Crowder Shape in Silico,
Fabio C. Zegarra, Dirar Homouz, Andrei G. Gasic, Lucas Babel, Michael Kovermann, Pernilla Wittung-Stafshede, Margaret S. Cheung,
J. Phys. Chem. B 2019, 123, 3607–3617.
Also of Interest
- IUPAC Honors Distinguished Women in Chemistry,
Awards program aims to promote the work of women chemists and chemical engineers worldwide
- Distinguished Women Chemistry/Chemical Engineering Award,
23 women scientists were awarded in 2011
- Women in Chemistry — IYC Interview Series,
ChemistryViews introduces interesting women on the occasion of the International Year of Chemistry (IYC 2011) and the centenary of Marie Curie’s Nobel Prize in Chemistry