Professor Reinhard Zellner, Universität Duisburg-Essen, Germany, has received the 2012 Verband der Chemischen Industrie (VCI)-Fonds Literature Prize. The prize is awarded by the Editorial Board of the Fonds der Chemischen Industrie (FCI) and recognizes outstanding textbooks, monographs, and chemistry journals that fill a gap in the chemical literature and contribute to a greater understanding of chemistry-related topics. Zellner is awarded for his book, Chemie über den Wolken (Chemistry above the Clouds), that was designed and implemented by the Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh, German Chemical Society) on the occasion of the International Year of Chemistry 2011 (IYC2011).
Reinhard Zellner studied chemistry and physics at the University of Göttingen, Germany, and gained his Ph.D. there in physical chemistry in 1971. He spent a year as a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Cambridge, UK, before joining the faculty at the University of Göttingen as a Senior Research Assistant. He completed his Habilitation at the University of Göttingen in 1980 and was appointed professor there in 1983. In 1988, Zellner moved to the University of Hanover, Germany. He joined the University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany, in 1991, where he is currently Senior Full Professor of Physical Chemistry.
Zellner’s research focuses on atmospheric chemistry, including the photochemistry and dynamics of atmospheric constituents, heterogeneous chemistry and microphysics of atmospheric aerosols, chemistry and climatic change, and interactions of nanoparticles with phase boundaries and biomolecules.
- Chemie über den Wolken: … und darunter,
Reinhard Zellner, GDCh,
Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2011.
- Spatial Separation of Individual Substances in Effloresced Crystals of Ternary Ammonium Sulphate/Dicarboxylic Acid/Water Aerosols,
Lennart Treuel, Alice Sandmann, Reinhard Zellner,
ChemPhysChem 2011, 12(6), 1109–1117.
- The Influence of Surface Composition of Nanoparticles on their Interactions with Serum Albumin,
Lennart Treuel, Marcelina Malissek, Julia Susanne Gebauer, Reinhard Zellner,
ChemPhysChem 2010, 11(14), 3093–3099.
Also of interest:
- Editorial: Die Atmosphärenchemie: ein junges und lebendiges Arbeitsgebiet,
Chem. Unserer Zeit 2007, 41(3), 134–135.
- Chemie in unserer Zeit Special Issue: Chemie der Atmosphäre
Chem. Unserer Zeit 2007, 41 (3).
- Fonds der Chemischen Industrie (FCI), Frankfurt, Germany
- Literary Prize 2010: D. Fischer-Fenningsen
- Literary prize 2009: Stefan Berger and Dieter Sicker: Classics in Spectroscopy