Professor Jürgen Gmehling, Emeritus at the University of Oldenburg, Germany, celebrates his 70th birthday on January 13, 2016.
Professor Gmehling’s research interests include phase equilibria, pure component properties, model development, and reaction kinetics. Together with Ulfert Onken, Technical University Dortmund, Germany, and Wolfgang Arlt, today University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, he developed the Dortmund Data Bank (DDB), a database for thermophysical properties of both pure components and mixtures.
Jürgen Gmehling studied chemistry at the University of Dortmund, Germany, after he had finished an apprenticeship as a laboratory technician. He received his Ph.D., also from the University of Dortmund, in 1973. He then worked in the field of thermodynamics with Ulfert Onken in the Department of Chemical Engineering at the University of Dortmund. For one year, he performed postdoctoral research with John M. Prausnitz at the University of California in Berkeley (UC Berkeley), USA. In 1989, Gmehling joined the University of Oldenburg as Professor of Chemical Engineering. He retired in 2011.
Among other honors, Professor Gmehling received the Arnold-Eucken-Preis from the VDI-GVC (Gesellschaft für Verfahrenstechnik und Chemieingenieurwesen) in 1982, the Rossini Lecture Award from the International Association of Chemical Thermodynamics in 2008, and the Gmelin-Beilstein Memorial Medal from the Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh, German Chemical Society) in 2010.
- Calorimetric and acoustic study of binary mixtures containing an isomeric chlorobutane and butyl ethyl ether or methyl tert-butyl ether,
D. Montaño, R. Bölts, J. Gmehling, H. Artigas, C. Lafuente,
J. Therm. Anal. Calorim. 2015, 122, 851–861.
- (Vapour+liquid) equilibria, (VLE) excess molar enthalpies and infinite dilution activity coefficients of selected binary systems involving n-hexyl pyridinium bis(trifluoromethylsulphonyl)imide ionic liquid: Experimental and predictions using modified UNIFAC (Dortmund),
I. Bahadur, A. Pal, J. Gmehling, T. Hector, K. Tumba, S. Singh, E. E. Ebenso,
J. Chem. Thermodyn. 2015, 90, 92–99.
- Measurement, correlation and prediction of isothermal vapor–liquid equilibria of different systems containing vegetable oils,
P. C. Belting, J. Gmehling, R. Bölts, J. Rarey, R. Ceriani, O. Chiavone-Filho, A. J. A. Meirelles,
Fluid Phase Equilib. 2015, 395, 15–25.
- Technische Chemie (in German),
M. Baerns, A. Behr, A. Brehm, J. Gmehling, K.-O. Hinrichsen, H. Hofmann, U. Onken, R. Palkovits, A. Renken,
Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2014.
- Chemical Thermodynamics for Process Simulation,
J. Gmehling, B. Kolbe, M. Kleiber, J. Rarey,
Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2012.
- Azeotropic Data,
J. Gmehling, J. Menke, J. Krafczyk, K. Fischer,
Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2004.
- Measurement of Activity Coefficients at Infinite Dilution in Ionic Liquids Using the Dilutor Technique,
M. Krummen, P. Wasserscheid, J. Gmehling,
J. Chem. Eng. Data 2002, 47, 1411–1417.
- A modified UNIFAC model. 1. Prediction of VLE, hE, and γ∞
U. Weidlich, J. Gmehling,
Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 1987, 26, 1372–1381.
- Vapor-Liquid Equilibria by UNIFAC Group Contribution. Revision and Extension,
S. Skjold-Jorgensen, B. Kolbe, J. Gmehling, P. Rasmussen,
Ind. Eng. Chem. Process Des. Dev. 1979, 18, 714–722.
Also of Interest
- 90th Birthday: Ulfert Onken,
ChemViews Mag. 2015.
- Jürgen Gmehling Awarded,
ChemViews Mag. 2010.
Jürgen Gmehling, University of Oldenburg, Germany, received the Gmelin-Beilstein-Denkmünze Award